The day dawned rather grey and cloudy. Mutiny in heaven....God, or the weather God anyway has had a dummy spit. I was not best pleased.
I wandered down for breakfast at about 9 and sat outside...still warm, just grey, in the gardens overlooking the pool. I was brought a tray of breakfast, which did not include baguette.
Now what the point of breakfast in France without Baguette is is quite beyond me but I munched my way through some rather hard rolls and some distinctly mediocre jam (for down here anyway) and and slurped my way through some very good orange juice and some quite appalling coffee. Honestly, what the French do to their coffee is quite beyond me, especially as the masters of coffee, italy, is just down the road. But in general is tastes appalling! Sorry, but it does.
I decided if the day was going to be mediocre I would head off on a little jaunt somewhere, and so decided I would head off to St Tropez, where I have not been for many many years ! It was a place I always rather liked going to - we're talking 30 years ago - as the people were nice and relaxed and there was always alot going on. I was a little fearful this would most likely have changed.
I arrived at about 1.30 after a rather tedious drive through the back of Ste Maxime and the single road that leads to St Tropez, which in the summer is an absolute torture, rather like the single track that leads to Portofino.
Parking was easy...they provide a huge car park where parking for the whole day costs about £5 and so I was soon on the waterfront that makes St Trop so famous.
It was as stunningly beautiful as it was all those years ago. Other than the type of Gin Palace that ties up, stern in of course so people can come and look at you and gawp as you sit gawping at them, Gin and Tonic (or more likely Vodka and ice, neat) in hand!
There were alot of yottie-totty waitresses (or hostesses as they are called.....a sort of self-styled exclusive waitress/slave/bed partner for all one reads) beavering about on the decks, some dressed would you believe in white gloves, getting the tables ready for lunch on the rear deck. They do take themselves rather seriously....rather more seriously than the people chartering the yachts !!
TBC -
No comments:
Post a Comment